Why do so many small businesses never quite manage to get to grips with the whole marketing thing?
The most typical fears and reasons for marketing failure I hear on a regular basis are:
Overwhelm - that feeling of being completely engulfed by the volume of marketing options available.
Not convinced by social media - I wish I had a penny for every time I’ve heard someone say “none of my clients are on Facebook.”
Nervous about spending money on marketing - for some it’s not considered a priority. For others it’s because they don’t know where to start, or they’ve had their fingers burnt and wasted time and money.
No time to get it done - mainly because business owners don’t prioritise time to focus on it.
Reluctant to learn new techniques - particularly digital marketing techniques, and so many business owners stick to the techniques they are familiar with.
No clear marketing strategy - all marketing is done on an ad hoc and scattergun basis. Or as I call it, ‘spray and pray’ marketing.
“We’ve always relied on word of mouth’ - which is great, but is it still enough to make your business sustainable in the long term?
The net result is poor sales and an order book so empty it will give you snow blindness.
This programme will give you greater confidence in your marketing and will help fill that order book until it’s bursting at the seams!
A down-to-earth marketing course bursting with techniques that you can actually put into practice.
There’s nothing airy-fairy about this course. It’s been designed for small businesses with tight budgets who need to sort out their marketing once and for all.
It’s a practical, 8-week online course that will teach you all you need to know about marketing a small business.
Everything is delivered in plain English, with practical examples. If you follow the course, you will transform your marketing efforts.
All modules are delivered via a series of video presentations. In addition you get:
- A downloadable pdf of the presentation slides.
- Downloadable MP3 audio files.
- Downloadable templates and checklists.
- An action plan.
You can participate at your own pace, and I'm always just an email away if you have any questions.
Here’s a run down of the course modules and exactly what you’ll learn.
Module One: Get your ducks in a row
This is all about the basics of marketing planning and strategy. You’ll learn about the important building blocks of marketing, and understand why they are vital to the success of your marketing efforts.
- Defining your offering - being clear about what problem you solve or desire you create.
- Target audience - clarity on who you are trying to reach.
- Positioning - where is your business positioned against your competition?
- Why you? - what makes your offering stand apart from others in you sector?
- Business objectives - do you want to take over the world? Or do you simply want to run a small business on your own terms?
- ‘The 7 Pees’ of marketing - and what why you should be thinking about them.
- Creating a strategy - with all the groundwork done, here’s how to identify your strategic approach
Module Two: A little bit of marketing psychology
This module is all about using psychology in your marketing. We'll look at some of the persuasive tricks used by big brands to convince us to buy, and then we'll drill down into some simple techniques you can try in your own marketing. We'll look at:
- Emotional hooks - the emotional drivers that convince people to purchase.
- Sequencing - formulas used by many brands to lead the customer to the sale.
- Website psychology - what makes people click?
- Techniques you can use - a run down of ideas for you to think about in your own marketing.
The session will look at examples, and there will be some practical exercises for you to try.
Module Three: Image and branding
This is not about spending thousands on new logos - this module discusses what you really need to present a professional image and what you don’t need. The good news is that you don’t need to spend a fortune to create a professional brand. We’ll look at:
- The basics of branding - what you need to worry about and what you don’t.
- The biggest mistakes small businesses make and how to avoid them.
- Top tools and resources (many of which are free or very low cost) that can help make the job easier.
- How to brief a graphic designer or web company to make sure you get what you really want.
Module Four: Copywriting and content creation
You don't need to swallow a dictionary to write good copy. It's not about fancy words. It's about being clear, and communicating in a way that your target audience will respond to.
This module takes you through some basic techniques, formulas and tips that can make a dramatic difference to your written communications for blogs, social media, sales materials, or simply writing difficult letters.
- How to craft better headlines
- How to find the right voice and tone for your business
- Some simple formulas for writing sales materials
- Tools that can help make copywriting easier and less stressful
- Website psychology - what makes people click?
Module Five: Social media for business
This module is not about the technology, it’s all about the benefits of social media for businesses and loads of top tips on how to make it work for you. And more importantly, I’ll show you how to make the whole social media marketing thing manageable and effective. We’ll look at the key differences, benefits and subtle nuances of social media in a business context for:
- Facebook, Twitter, Linked-in
- Pinterest & Instagram
I’ll also show you:
- Tons of content ideas that you can use over and over again
- How to create a social media calendar
- Tons of tools and tips to make social media easy and manageable
Module Six: Email marketing
Love it or hate it, email marketing techniques are still deliver results when done well. This module looks at top tips for using email marketing. We’ll look at:
- The most popular tools for running low-cost (or sometimes free) email marketing campaigns.
- Examples of successful campaigns (and some horrors too).
- How to integrate email marketing with your other marketing activities.
- Building a list.
- Understanding legal and best practice issues.
- How to use A/B split testing to improve your results.
- List segmentation and varying your message to suit different audiences.
- What to do with the metrics.
Week Eight: Pulling it all together
This final session shows you how to pull everything together into a practical marketing plan and monthly activity calendar. We’ll look at:
- A recap of everything we’ve learned and look at how it all fits together into an integrated plan.
- How to create month by month marketing activity calendar.
- Creating a content schedule for your social media activities.
- Samples of marketing budgets and simple strategy documents.
Week Seven: Face to face marketing
Word of mouth and networking are still very important marketing techniques for small businesses - particularly if you’re looking for local customers. This module will look at:
- How to choose the networking events that will work for you - e.g. formal versus informal
- Getting the best from networking groups.
- Ideas for creating ’60-second, or elevator’ pitches.
- Building referral networks - finding people who can 'sell' your business for you and send you a steady stream of enthusiastic customers.
- Loyalty programmes - we'll look at some examples which will inspire you to develop something of your own.
If that’s not enough, here’s a few ‘Brucie Bonuses’ to keep you interested…
Bonus 1: Live Monthly Q&A Session
Every month I run a live webinar for up to 2 hours where you can ask me questions about your marketing. Sometimes there are just one or two people on the session live, other times there are between 40-50 people. You if you can’t attend live that’s ok, you can send me your questions in advance and I’ll cover them off during the session and you can watch the replay. I always email out the replay link the following day.
The webinars are only available for people who are current or past students on my online courses and workshops.
They are normally the last Thursday of each month, between 7 and 9pm (UK Time) - but fear not, you'll be notified via email when they are, and there will be a schedule in the course portal.
Bonus 2: Introduction to Storytelling in Marketing.
A bonus module that shows you the power of stories as part of your sales and marketing. It’s a mini version of one of my most popular classroom workshops.
Bonus 3: How to adopt a VIP client policy
A downloadable podcast and pdf that offers ways to make sure you get the kind ofclients you really want.
Who is this course for?
This course has been created for owner managed small businesses who want to get to grips with their marketing. It acknowledges that you probably have limited time, and limited budgets.
In my classroom workshops, I’ve met hundreds of people who run, or work in small businesses who come because they want to learn how to it right, but have no formal marketing background. This has been aimed at:
- People in some kind of marketing role in a small or medium sized business who have never had any formal marketing training.
- Owner managers who want to make marketing a higher priority.
- Ambitious start ups
- Anyone who feels so overwhelmed with the number of marketing option out there and feels the need to take a step back.
- Anyone who feels trapped in ‘spray and pray’ marketing hell.
How does it work?
This is an online programme that you can do at your own pace, when it’s convenient for you.
The modules appear in the cloud based portal week by week. You can participate in the course from any device, so long as you have internet access.
As well as the 8 marketing modules there are three bonus modules. The main modules appear week by week in an automatic drip feed. You will receive an email alert to let you know when the new module has landed. The bonus modules appear during the final week.
How long can I have access to the course?
How does forever sound? All the modules remain available to you for as long as you like. So feel free to dip and out to refresh your memory on things when ever you need to.
What if I sign up and then decide it's not for me?
If you participate in all of module one, and then decide you don't like it, or it's not for you, I'll refund you. Just send me an email before module two arrives and there will be no quibble (and I'll still like you). So that's 7 days to change your mind.
Why should you listen to me?
Well first of all, I am a small business in my own right. So I know what it’s like to have to do everything in the business.
I’ve had a long professional career in marketing, PR, copywriting and digital marketing. I’ve worked for some massive brands such as IBM, Hewlett Packard, British Telecom and Sun Microsystems. As well as delivering marketing work, I also ran media training workshops and coaching for corporate executives, and I once spent a year travelling across Europe, running marketing and PR workshops for IBM resellers (some great stories for the memoirs).
For the past 4 years I’ve been running marketing and copywriting workshops and coaching programmes with small businesses. I still do consulting work, which means that everything I share with you in my training programmes is bang up to date, and based on techniques that actually work and deliver real results for businesses just like yours.
I'm a fully accredited marketing trainer and you can count any course you do with me towards your CPD
My training and coaching programmes have been accredited by Open Awards, which essentially means that I've been checked out to within an inch of my life.
- The quality of my programmes, my processes and methodologies have been quality checked and verified by an independent UK educational accreditation and training body.
- I can offer credits, diplomas and certificates which count towards CPD (continuing professional development) points, or nationally recognised qualifications such as NVQs or even degrees.
- I run in-house workshops on marketing planning, copywriting, storytelling and social media content, for companies across the UK. I also do 1-2-1 coaching programmes for small businesses with just one or two people who need help.
- I also work in conjunction with several Chambers of Commerce and university business schools to run open workshops for the business community.
What does it cost, and what do you get?
This course is roughly the time equivalent of a three day classroom-based course. These courses normally cost in the region of £500 a day (sometimes a lot more) - making a total of £1800.00 (including VAT). In addition you also have to factor in travel costs, travel time, and of course down-time away from the business.
The investment for this 8-week programme is £475 (plus VAT).
For this you get:
- Video based presentations - split into short segments.
- Downloadable pdf files of the presentation slides.
- Downloadable templates and checklists.
- Action plans
- You can access the portal as often as you want, for as long as you want.
- Membership of a private Facebook group where members interact and I chip in with answers to questions.
- Once a month I run a live webinar Q&A session that is open to anyone who has done a course with me. Sometimes we have just a couple of people on the webinar, sometimes it can be around 50+. This is an opportunity to ask me any question you like about marketing. If you can’t join the live session, you can email your question in advance, and I’ll cover it in the call - and you can access the webinar replay.
So, if you dream of the day when your marketing really works and you feel in control, then this is the course you’ve been waiting for.
You won’t regret it.
What shall I do now? Well you can either...
1. Call me to book a free discovery call to find out if this programme is right for you.
Either click the button below to book convenient time, or call me on: 01539 621639/07703 231598